My Vision of the ARRL - part 1

My Vision of the ARRL

I'm not sure that's really the right way to put it. My vision is to serve the members of the ARRL not to dive in and remake it to fit me.

Youth in Radio

I think the ARRL needs to be active in trying to get new members, particularly younger people. I'm 45 years old (and I can't stand rap music) so my vision in that regard has to be taken with a grain of salt. My kids are in their teens and they aren't much interested in ham radio. But then neither was I when I was their age. Somehow the magic of radio bit me as I approached 40. For others it happens a different way. One key I think is to get people on HF not just on VHF or UHF FM. Don't get me wrong, I like the local modes through the repeaters, the ready conversation with people I can meet face to face. But I think the really interesting stuff is cross cultural connections on HF. As the sunspot cycle comes back up I would like to see more non-contest venues for new hams to have DX ragchewing. My kids aren't going to meet someone from Belarus on their cell phone. But they can do that with ham radio!

Public Service

Public service is a hot topic these days. The ARRL has been a focal point and connection between amateur radio and various served agencies. That needs to keep happening. Issues like the Red Cross wanting background checks... we need people who can connect with the served agencies at a national level and let them know what we have to offer. I think the ARRL has been doing a good job of that and I plan to encourage it.

I think there is a real attraction for youth in public service activities too, particularly local events like races, runs and parades, things that don't require six months of EMCOM training but will give them an important job that is appreciated.

No comments: