My Vision of the ARRL - part 2

Regulations and the FCC

I really appreciate the leadership role that the ARRL serves in representing ham radio to the FCC and international government bodies. It really does work. Personally, I wouldn't have known anything about BPL if it weren't for those sharp-eyed FCC watchers at the ARRL who keep up with all of this.

I appreciate the ARRL spectrum defense efforts, including the fund raising program.

Testing and Licensing

As I mentioned, I think HF operation is the real attraction of amateur radio and I think the recent removal of the morse code proficency requirement will help get more new hams on the HF bands. I love morse code. I started and lead a VHF morse code practice net in our area, carried on weekly morse code practice for a number of years. I'm not a code-hater, I'd just like to see more people get to enjoy the historical heart of ham radio.

Code proficiency did act as a higher hurdle for licensing. It was really the only hands-on part of the examination, something you couldn't get from memorizing the question pool. I'd like to see something replace the code test in this area. I think an operating proficiency segment would be good. Maybe a computer simulated QSO could be used to demonstrate simple things like knowing how to tune in a sideband signal, how to recognize some of the common digital modes, how to operate a radio in receive mode. Maybe it could be just a certificate from another licensed ham which declares that yes, this candidate knows something about how to get on the air.

I appreciate the ARRL's leadership in the testing and licensing process. I'd like to see more recognition for volunteer examiners and the work they do.

Bandplan

The ARRL recently withdrew a proposal to the FCC to rework the bandplan based on signal bandwidth. I applaud the effort and the openness of the process, and the willingness to take a step back and work things out a little more. It's going to be a difficult issue. I think we should continue moving forward with this issue in a deliberate and open process.

Finances and HQ Operations

I have no inside information on the finances, membership, employee satisfaction or other metrics concerning ARRL operations. My experience dealing with ARRL headquarters has always been pleasant. I expect there are people less enthusiastic than myself. Let's just say that I'm not running a "throw the bums out" campaign. I am interested in seeing that funds continue to be used efficiently to promote the interests of the membership.

Logbook of the World has been very successful as a member service. It is an indication that the ARRL is forward thinking and not too bound by tradition. I see these kinds of projects as a health indicator not just for the ARRL as an operational organization but for amateur radio as a forward looking activity.





No comments: